The gooier the better, I say. I want a tall bar with a gooey pull and a chewy bite. If that’s what you’re after as well, then you’re in the right place!
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (85g)
- 10 cups mini-marshmallows, divided (430g, ~1 1/2 10oz. bags)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal (165g)
- Prep an 8 inch square cake pan with parchment paper and set aside (helps to release, but not always necessary if using non-stick—I use this one from USA Pan without parchment).
- Cut your butter into tablespoon-sized (~15g) pieces. Melt the butter over medium heat in a large 10″ sauce pot or deep saucepan. Once the butter has fully melted, add 8 cups of mini marshmallows, reduce heat to low, and stir with a spatula until the marshmallows are completely melted combined with the butter (can take a couple minutes, gently stir to help them melt evenly and faster).
- Turn the heat off and stir in both your vanilla extract and salt until incorporated. Then add in your Rice Krispies cereal, mixing and folding until evenly coated in the marshmallow mixture. Then work quickly to fold in your remaining 2 cups of marshmallows until evenly distributed.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared baking pan and gently press down into an even layer (TIP: wet the tips of your fingers to prevent sticking and for looser/gooier pieces, don’t firmly press all the way down—the harder you press down, the tighter/tougher they’ll be to eat).
- Let set in the pan for at least 1 hour at room temperature before cutting/serving.
Store for up to 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature (don’t store in the fridge or they’ll get too hard).
- You could use a 9×13 non-stick pan as well, but your bars will be much thinner and with that said—I haven’t tested it that way. So baker beware! If you do try it, leave a comment below so other’s know it’s an option! I just happen to prefer a taller rice krispie treat.
- Be sure to use fresh bags of marshmallows! I know it sounds silly, but using that half-bag of mini marshmallows from the back of your pantry (from who knows how long ago) might be a bit dry and affect the end result. Go fresh and get that gooey pull!
Keywords: rice krispie treats, rice krispy treats, rice krispies, marshmallow, marshmallows, gooey rice krispie treats, cereal, gooey