Upgrade that classic crispy rice treat by roasting it (whether with a kitchen torch or open campfire) and then dipping in some silky smooth chocolate frosting! AKA s’mores on a stick for the perfect summer delight.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (85g)
- 10 cups mini-marshmallows, divided (430g, roughly 1 1/2 10oz. bags)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon regular table salt
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal (165g)
- 1 cup Betty Crocker™ Chocolate Rich & Creamy Frosting (150g, 9oz.)
- Prep an 8 inch square cake pan with parchment paper and set aside (helps to release, but not always necessary if using a non-stick pan). From your 10 cups of mini marshmallows, reserve 2 cups off to the side to use towards the end.
- Cut your butter into tablespoon-sized pieces (15g). Melt the butter over medium heat in a large 10″ sauce pot or deep saucepan. Once the butter has fully melted, add 8 cups of mini marshmallows, reduce heat to low, and gently stir with a spatula until the marshmallows are completely melted combined with the butter.
- Turn the heat off and stir in both your vanilla extract and salt until fully mixed in. Then add your cereal, mixing and folding until evenly coated in the marshmallow mixture. Then, quickly fold in that remaining 2 cups of marshmallows until evenly distributed.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared baking pan and gently press down into an even layer (TIP: wet the tips of your fingers to prevent sticking). Let set in the pan for at least 1 hour at room temperature before cutting into 8 evenly-sized bars and inserting roasting sticks or bamboo skewers into each. Then, using either a kitchen torch or campfire, carefully roast each rice Krispie treat until desired toastiness.
- Let those cool while you prepare the chocolate frosting or dipping. Scoop out 1 cup Betty Crocker™ Chocolate Rich & Creamy Frosting into a heat-safe bowl. Microwave for 10 seconds, stir it with a spoon, and then microwave for another 10 seconds. The frosting should be slightly melted and easier to stir, but not runny.
- Carefully dip each roasted rice Krispie treat into the Betty Crocker™ Chocolate Rich & Creamy Frosting. You can dip them straight up and down, spoon it overtop, or even drizzle it across each—baker’s choice! Enjoy right away or store for up to 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature (don’t store in the fridge or they’ll get too hard).
- Don’t press your gooey mixture too firmly into the pan or they’ll be more tight/tough.
- Again, wetting the tips of your fingers will help to prevent sticking as you press them in.
- Make sure your chocolate frosting isn’t too runny or it won’t stick to the bars. It’s better to err on the side of thicker vs. melted.